Friday, July 2, 2010

Favourite Photos - Erskineville/Sydney June 2004 - Trees and Shadow

Trees and Shadow - Erskineville - Wed 16 Jun 2004 (picasa)

Just a very simple photo I like. Pass here each work day as I walk up Swanston Street to Erskineville Railway Station. In winter, when the trees lose their leaves, they project interesting shadows onto the wall of this Terrace House. The trees are now much bigger and the shadows produced are not quite the same. Have taken many shots of this wall over the years, but I have not been able to get a better shot than this first photo.

Have seen many interesting photos that play with shadows. A tribute article (9 Niv 2002) by Robert McFarlane for the late Ingeborg Tyssen helped me to start looking out for shadows. A quote from the article I liked was:

'Whenever possible I carry a loaded camera ... I react without too much thought. Rarely do I wait for a situation to resolve itself. Nor do I direct or provoke people. The important aspects are composition, texture and light.'

A nice way to look a photography and when I look at my own photographic evolution, I guess I have unknowingly tried to look for at least the same three points - 'composition, texture and light'.

Shortly after Ingeborg Tyssen death in 2002, the Art Gallery of NSW arranged a Memorial Exhibition of some her work. I was really impressed by the simplicity and effectiveness of many of her photos. Indeed, for the most part, it was about 'composition, texture and light'. I also have a copy of her book - Ingeborg Tyssen: Sydney photographs.

The following was one photo, I really enjoyed and was a great 'play' on the use of a shadow ..

Tree#55 (1983) from Tree Series (Ingeborg Tyssen)

Another photo reveals the framing trick employed ..

Tuscon/Arizona - 1982 - see here (Ingeborg Tyssen)

I can't really remember, but I expect these simple shadow photos, helped me to see many shadow photos that I have taken over the years. One humble attempt in 2007 follows:

Tree Shadow - Wilson Street/Newtown - Jul 2007(picasa)

Liked the positioning of the shadow of the tree trunk across the path segment - beautifully aligned for a random photo. Also the top of a real tree apparently growing out of a shadow and the position of the air vent. Nothing great, but I was happy and entered it in the 2007 Sydney Life photo competiion which closed a few days later (of course to no avail :-).

A few more random shadow related photos that I could easily find just now, follow:

Pyrmont Bridge - Darling Harbour/Sydney - Thu 31 Jul 2003 (picasa)


Tree Shadow - Perisher Valley - Tue 6 Jan 2004 (picasa)


Pole Shadows - Wellington/NZ - Tue 5 Nov 2002 (picasa)


Shadow (and Silohuette?) - Circular Quay/Sydney - 8 Dec 2002 (picasa)

I think one thing that has helped me think more about shadows in photography, is the strong Australian sunlight. I have found when travelling in the UK and Europe, the sun does not seem to shine as much and when it does it is not particularly strong, and the shadows don't seem to be as prevelant. In Australia, shadows are hard to avoid, so you need to work with the stronger Australian light or you just avoid taking photos at these times.

In writing this, I have just thought of photos that employ the use of the Silohuette. Will write something about this at a later stage as I have also employed the use of silohuette's in many of my photos over the years and is another aspect of photography I enjoy.

Lastly, a little Shadow Excercise I read about recently (in Paulo Coelho's 'The Pilmgrimage'). Often it is fun when walking around to look at a shadows and try and work out what it is that created the shadow. Most of the time it is reasonably obvious (as in these photos), but sometimes it can be difficult to work it out. Have fun ..

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    My name is Linda and I'm a graphic designer from Sydney. I'm currently volunteering to work on a brochure for my church - it's all about the idea of generosity and giving in the suburbs.

    I love your photos and I think the first image in this blog post is perfect for one of the pages I'm working on. I was wondering if I will be able to have your permission to use this image and if so, will you be able to email me a high resolution version of this? Your image will definitely be fully credited.

    Thanks in advance!

    Keep up the great work.

    Warm regards,
    Linda

    Image being referred to:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_M6qMu_jcS9U/TC2UnOa9rJI/AAAAAAAASa0/pIEYGY_rg5U/s1600/IMG_4323.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda. Thanks for the comment and asking. You are more than welcome to use the photo. I'll try to find the original, upload it to picasa and provide a link to the full size version here in the next day or so. Regards Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda, here is a bigger version ..

    https://picasaweb.google.com/101723253737180234747/EljeiffelSpring2015?authkey=Gv1sRgCJv_jvvNgo-9sQE#6202736315628638178

    All the best with the brochure. Regards Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff,

    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

    Have a lovely day,

    Warm regards,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete