Sunday, July 3, 2011

Going out on a Limb - Tree of Life Review - Paul Byrne (Sat 02 Jul 2011)

Going out on a Limb - Tree of Life Review (click to read) - Paul Byrne (Sat 02 Jul 2011)

This is my Life - just completely blown away by this Movie.

The imagery of Water and Trees. The silent suffering and subsequent loss of a son and brother, a Brother's searching and wandering, the amazing Jessica Chastain - her inner and outer beauty as Mrs O'Brien - her tragic loss, the one a Mother should never have to bear.

Not for everyone and I would not recommend it, unless you have some kind of empathy towards it's themes, until after reading Paul Byrnes review above (it helped me see it in a different way, compared to if I had not read the review).

Audiences will be polarised. During my screening yesterday afternoon, one person stormed out loudly within the first 30 minutes, while most appaulded at the end (the only time I have witnessed this, based on my experience of watching many movies at the Dendy since Jenny left us two years ago). The audience was definitely an older one compared to the usual Dendy audience and I was probably the youngest one there.

Will definitely go again as I fell asleep in a couple of parts (exceptional tired from all the training and early hours commuting), besides I just want to take it all in again.

[Postscript: My 500th Post.]

God's Pallete - A Master Stroke - Tree - Lake Burley Griffin / Canberra (Mon 05 Aug 2002)

Geoff, Jenny and Betty (my Mum) - Off to the 2005 NSW Sport Awards - Jenny had been nominated for the NSW Masters Womens NSW Sports Award Alexandria / Sydney (Tue 15 Feb 2005)

Geoff and Betty - at the same time, 300km away, Tim's world fell apart and we almost lost him them that night, as we would find out later - our world, my Mother's world would change forever, 20 Days Later - Alexandria / Sydney (Tue 15 Feb 2005)

Transition - water - Jerrabomberra Creek / Canberra (Sat 12 Mar 2005)

5 comments:

  1. An online version of the SMH Spectrum article is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always more aligned with Margaret than David from the ABC's At the Movies (*):

    MARGARET: Well, you see, I think this is a very personal film for Malick. He grew up in Texas and I think it is him grappling with major questions of life in his life. He's also an academic, an incredibly bright filmmaker, and a great humanist, I think, and I just - I was incredibly moved and stimulated by this film and I'm giving it a rare 5 stars from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The people who don't understand Sean Penn's role (*) certainly have not experienced the emotions that the Director and Write Terrence Malick
    gives the character through his own life experiences - some of which I know have experienced. His role was so easy for me to understand and empathise with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people who don't understand Sean Penn's role (*) certainly have not experienced the emotions .. some of which I know have experienced

    For me, Penn's character is my brother, who ends being the brother that Penn was searching for. Simple really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another online version appeared here:

    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/going-out-on-a-limb-20110630-1gri5.html

    Sorry, don't have too much sympathy for those that don't understand it. Just don't storm out and make a scene of it. You are not important.

    ReplyDelete