Friday, July 6, 2012

My Island Home (Acoustic Version) - Christine Anu

My Island Home (Acoustic Version) - Christine Anu

A beautiful version of this song, even with this low-resolution YouTube version.

Three years ago today this song was the one I chose to play as the first song as we left the Service for Jenny's Farewell. I will never forget the first few notes of this version of this song - each note is like a pin dropping and a kind of an awakening to the reality of Jenny's loss. I felt at the time, and even now, that Jenny has found her Island Home.

It's a long story how this song ended being played, but it seemed right at the time and it still does.

I remember a lot about this day and I seemed to be in control of everything even though everything was out of control. I could tell a few stories about what could have gone wrong but was avoided through a sense of calm and control I have rarely felt throughout my life.

I know everyone remembers the amazing Sunset as we left the Chapel and people still talk about it even today.

It was only at the end of the day when I finally arrived home that evening after the "Get Together" following the Funeral, that I broke down alone in the darkness of the room where I had written my talk for Jenny's Eulogy earlier that day.

It's been a long and hard road since then but I keep moving forward as Jenny would have I wanted.

Thinking of the leading three or four acoustic guitar notes of My Island Home, in the silence of the Chapel, at the end of Jenny's Funeral, always puts a tingle up my spine and is one of the defining memories of that day and my Life.

Today I remember, 7500 km away from where she rests ..

Jennifer Joy Petterson - Three Years On - Woronora (Sat 30 Jun 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment