Wednesday, July 24, 2013

2013 Auroras Flag Bearer Speech - Joanne Petterson - Australian Team Dinner / Gyor / Hungary (Sun 21 Jul 2013)

Introducing Joanne Petterson: Your 2013 Auroras Flag Bearer
A Tribute to Joanne and all those who have supported her in paddling and life - Love Geoff (*)
Gyor / Hungary (Sun 21 Jul 2013)

I would just like to say how honoured and proud I am to be representing you as the Australian Flag Bearer.

I love this sport and am very passionate about it and have been fortunate to witness many opening ceremonies and I still can't believe I have been given this honour to carry the flag.

I have been involved in the Australian squads since 2003 and have been fortunate enough to have been included in many great teams and squads, and have met many wonderful people over the years.

Each Aus Sqaud experience has been memorable for all different reasons and we are now making more memories together which we will reminisce over for years to come.

I have loved this time in Gyor and it was so nice to see how good all the divisions looked on the water and how each of the divisions supported each other.

We have all trained hard and put in a lot of work and we are now ready to face the rest of the world, so what is important now is what goes on in your head.

Some things I have learnt over the years are:

1. Trust and believe in yourself, your team mates, coaches and managers knowing we have done everything required.

2. Work together as a team and a squad on and off the water and support each other.

3. Go hard and don't hold back.

4. Focus on doing your best possible race rather than focusing on the result.

5. Be positive and be brave - you can go harder than you thought was possible and your body will be able to do it.

From my experience, I have seen it time and time again, not just in paddling but in life, keep a positive attitude even when things become tougher than you could possibly imagine, as anything is possible.

I know this to be true and I have witnessed many great moments in this sport and through that have realised as the German crew said to us after a Final at the 2009 World Championships "you made the impossible, possible".

I often remember a comment one of my coaches said as we huddled together in a circle after our last race together at the 2009 World Championships. He said "look around at each of your team mates, this will be the last time this team will race together". So saviour the moment.

I'd like to wish everyone well in Szeged, go hard, be strong both physically and mentally, be brave, but most of all have fun, these are all memories we are making together which will last a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Jo. Clearly shows why you have so many fans round the world who admire and respect you tremendously. You are and always will be an inspiration to many.
    Your number 1 fan Vivianne.

    ReplyDelete