Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Photographers Lament - - Matt Weber (Oct 2011)


Blurry Cats - Flatiron District - New York (Wed 17 Aug 2011)

A fantastic interview (*) with Matt Weber (*) over at the equally great Street Reverb [magazine] (*) Street Photography web site.

I can relate to many of Matt's insights (*) into photographing on the street.

Having already posted about photography related regrets (*), the following quote caught my eye...
Regrets of missed opportunities have plagued me, but also helped me greatly. I can lament a missed shot for a very long time, if I think it may have been epic. Those type of shots are far and few between.

In order to spare myself the self inflicted torture which follows missing a potentially great photograph, I’ve learned three things from my mistakes.
  • Never leave home without your camera. Never do it!

  • Always keep at least one extra roll of film, or these days an extra battery and CF card I suppose.

  • Lastly, don’t hesitate when you see something fantastic.
Fear and or embarrassment, has cost me a handful of images which I’m certain would have been very important to me. It’s hard to block out emotions sometimes, but if you want to be a “Nice Guy” and never upset a soul, you’ll be better off doing something else.
Having just returned from Matt's hometown of New York (*) and reading his story (*) inspired me to post the DGK series of photos (*) and explain what I was thinking as I took the photos. It is great when someone like Matt talks about and shares their photography insights as well as their own photographic trials and tribulations.

Also I'm a big believer in learning from mistakes (*).

So much to learn from and to be inspired by - thanks Matt Weber (*) and Bryan Formhals (* of Street Reverb [magazine] (*)

Picasa Contact Sheets (*) (3 of 4) - Canon G10 - New York (Thu 18 Aug 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment