Wednesday, December 12, 2012

On Black and White - Daido Moriyama

Hazelhurst Passageway - Monochrome - Gymea (Sat 08 Dec 2012)

Daido Moriyama (*) on Black and White:
Monochrome has stronger elements of abstraction or symbolism.

There is perhaps an element of taking you to another place.

Thats just the way I respond to things.

Black and white has that physical effect on me.
On Colour, he explains:
Colour is something more vulgar because the colour is making the decisions, it feels vulgar, and that seems to me to be the difference.
via Is Colour Vulgar? (Wed 05 Dec 2012) (*).

Hazelhurst Passageway - Colour - Gymea (Sat 08 Dec 2012)

Not exactly sure what he means by vulgar, but I think the above photos might help understand what he is trying to say, particularly about Black and White / Monochrome. I think colour creates different relationships in the photos where it is used effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment