Thursday, September 26, 2013

Adam Goodes Talk - Auroras 2013 Team Captains Announcement - Bank Street / Pyrmont (Sat 29 Jun 2013)

Auroras 2013 Team Captains Announcement - Adam Goodes Talk - Dragon Boat YouTube (*) Bank Street / Pyrmont (Sat 29 Jun 2013)

Adam Goodes (*) talks to the Sydney based Australian Dragon Boat Team Members, the 2013 Auroras.

It was a few weeks before we flew out to Hungary for our final training camp in Gyor (*) and then onto Szeged (*) a few days later, for the World Championships.

It was an amazing moment. To think that Adam would come down to say a few words to us.

You knew it was special at the time. But today, looking at this video, it made me realise how special it was. Thanks Adam. You are a Gentleman, a Champion and represent everything that which we aspire to as people and paddlers.

Following Adam's Talk, Kel announced the 2013 Aurora Divisional Team Leaders and overall Team Captains. As each was named, Adam presented the Sydney based Leaders and Captains with a Plaque which acknowledges each persons achievements in being selected to their position.

Finally, Kel thanked Adam for making time to see us, following which he was presented a plaque to remember his time with us. Needless to say, Adam was more than happy to spend a bit of time speaking to us individually and to make a few photos. See below.

Here is my humble efforts to transcribe what Adam said..
Kel suggested I come down here to see you guys who are going off to represent your country which I think is fantastic.

I do like to give back to community as much as possible and thought this was great opportunity.

You know this is not a sport that I am involved with. A sport which I have never tried before, but

[.. from the crowd .. we have got a spare seat. ]

I would hate to kick somebody out of their spot.

It is a fantastic thing, whether, you know, it's your first time representing Australia or whether you have been doing it for so many years as a Master. It is always the same. You have got that Green and Gold.

I have played for Australia four times, I have captained Australia in 2011 over in Ireland at the International Series there.

I didn't really feel what it was like to be a patriot to my Country until I represnted Australia. To see the Americans and how patriotic they are about the flag and everything.

It's not until you represent Australia and you are going away from Australian shores to do it that you actually feel how proud I am about the Country I come from, the Country I am representing and the people that we are.

Look at how diverse we all are just looking at us right now.

It is fantastic that we can go away and represent Australia and give our best. I think that is what being Australian is all about is giving our best.

You are also doing it for ..

The main reason I wanted to come down here today for you guys is to give you a pat on the back. Wish you good luck.

You know it is a fantastic opportunity to ..

You know I have never been to Hungary before. It is a great opportunity to see a different Country. Embrace their culture. Learn somehting new. But also, let them embrace our culture as well. Let them see what Australian people are like.

Have fun. You know, win, lose or draw, you are over there to enjoy yourself.

Get to know people on a different level. Travel together. I know the boys don't like travelling with me because I am a bit of a snorer.

[.. from the crowd - much laughter ..]

I dont have a problem with it, ..

but enjoy, have fun and go and do us proud.

That is the great thing about representing your Country.

It is what it is all about. Good luck.

[.. from the crowd - applause.]
Here are a few photos from the day. Thanks Adam and of course, Kel, for asking Adam.
Adam - Bank Street / Pyrmont (Sat 29 Jun 2013)

Adam - Bank Street / Pyrmont (Sat 29 Jun 2013)

Adam and Sydney-based Auroras 2013 Leadership Team - Bank Street / Pyrmont (Sat 29 Jun 2013)

Adam and Jo - Bank Street / Pyrmont (Sat 29 Jun 2013)

Adam, Jo and Geoff - Bank Street / Pyrmont (Sat 29 Jun 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment