Thursday, September 19, 2013

On Fame - Eric Kim (Mon 16 Sep 2013)

Untitled - Barcelona (Tue 06 Aug 2013)

Eric Kim (*) writes On Fame (*):
I personally feel that spending one’s life in search of fame and recognition is a waste of time. Rather, I feel the most important thing is to create work that is relevant and meaningful to you. After all, fame (*) and recognition is dependent on the opinion of others – something you can’t control.
via 10 Lessons Andre Kertesz Has Taught Me About Street Photography (*) by Eric Kim (*).

Whenever someone mentions the word Fame (*), I now think of Alanis Morissette and her own experiences (*) with Fame (*):
And what I have come to see is that fame (*) only amplified that which was there already.

So if I was depressed or I if I was insecure or if I was angry or whatever it was it just amplified it.

It made everything bigger and it did not sort of give, give me what it had been sort of purported to be able to give.

And so there was this great disillusionment.
She then discussed her own way forward:
At this point in my life I am clearer that I share music because it is part of my life purpose.

To write it is, the act of writing it is for me and the act of sharing it is so that other people can make it their own - they can derive comfort, inspiration or whatever they want to derive from it.

So it becomes an offering of some kind and because of that I can do it and I can work really hard.

If I were singularly doing it to just be in the public eye for gratuitous reasons, than I would probably last about an hour.
For me, my main aim in life is not to be noticed too much. I am happy to be just engaged with the world (*) and contributing in my own little way, whatever that might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment