Friday, April 17, 2015

Jenny - AusDBF Nationals 2004 / Perth (Fri 09 Apr 2015)

Jenny - Perth Apartments - State vs State Day / AusDBF Nationals 2004 / Perth (Fri 09 Apr 2015)

I'm often asked what is my favourite Dragon Boat momemt and there have been a few to pick from. Have left it until today, here in Perth, to say what it really is ..

My favourite dragon boat moment is Jenny in this photo ..

Jenny is ready to race for her State, for the very first time, in the NSW Women's Master Dragon Boat Team. She is ready to go and was so excited. You can see it in her face and smile.

The NSW Bus would swing by the Dragons Abreast Accomodation to pick up Jenny and Jo. And I would walk up along the river to the race site to watch the races. Dolphins frolicked in the shallow river waters to keep me entertained along the long river side walk.

It was an exciting day and the Australian title as well as the right to represent Australia at the World Championships in Shanghai was at stake. At the end of the day all NSW Teams had qualified and Jenny and Joanne were off to Shanghai in Oct 2004.

For me, I was yet to set foot onto a Dragon Boat, even though Jenny and Joanne had been paddling close to 3 years. My turn would come a month later, and the rest is history.

This is my first AusDBF Nationals here in Perth and I remember Jenny and those that were here back in Apr 2004, some of whom will be here today and tomorrow. As I said, a special moment for me in paddling and life.

All the best to everyone here in Perth for the AusDBF Nationals that start today. May you put your best races on the water and dont forget to have a great time.

Paddles up .. Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment