Monday, September 6, 2010

Full Capacity by Drew Ginn (23 May 2007)

Full Capacity by Drew Ginn (23 May 2007)

[..] It is amazing to put everything into a single stroke.

So when I refer to full capacity I know it can relate to fatigue but on this occasion it was about maximum force.

It was as if I was producing peak force every stroke and what becomes noticeable is when I cam off the boil just slightly.

The difference between sitting on 1.34 and 1.35 is so fine and yet full capacity is in reality maybe not sustainable.

So what I was playing with was going to full capacity and then staying aware of how I was producing that force.

Relaxation and breathing were key and speed of movement was critical.

Once I started to find I began working hard it was like being presented with a choice. A fork in the road, with one option being to muscle it and try to work harder and harder or the other was to relax into it and trust that by keeping the intention of speed, relaxation and by using a strong breathing rhythm.

Well a couple of times I went down the path to option one and a few times down the path to option two. The result was clear to sustain the output and ease of drive was actually possible with the later.

So stepping up to full capacity is one element in the equation to optimal performance, the other being the ability to sustain the intensity.

It was a great little test and I will keep in mind during our preparation for the Worlds this year.


Another Favourite Blog Post from Drew Ginn.

A nice follow on from the previous post - One Stroke (29 Apr 2008) by Drew.

Dragons Abreast Sydney (DAS) - Full Capacity - CNY 2005 - Feb 2005


Dragons Abreast Sydney (DAS) - Full Capacity - Woronora Regatta - Dec 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment