Monday, November 8, 2010

Vale: Maurie Cowan (1960-2010) - Pride, Intensity, Passion and Power ..

To represent your country at any event is an honour that very few people achieve in their life time. I am fortunate in that I have the opportunity to do it twice in one go and so whether I'm paddling in a dragonboat or performing the haka both will be done with the same amount of pride, intensity, passion and power that they deserve. .. Maurie Cowan - Tue 05 Jul 2005 (email to Australian Dragon Boat Team)

Maurie Cowan - Performing the Haka - Maori Culture Group - Schlitz/Germany - Jul 2005


Maurie Cowan - Australian Premier Open Dragon Boat Team - Thu 04 Aug 2005

This afternoon I have learnt of the passing of Maurice Cowan (Maurie), last night after a 5 year journey with advanced prostate cancer. He was 50 years old.

Strangely enough, yesterday, I had only just thought of him and how he was going, on the way home from the Roseville Dragon Boat Regatta. 

My first memory of Maurie is from the 2004 Australian National Dragon Boat Championships in Perth in April 2004. He paddled in the NSW Masters Open Team and the Masters Mixed Team, alongside Jenny and Joanne. I remember everyone being very excited about the resulting wins, becoming National Champions and the resulting opportunity it presented to represent Australia at the IDBF World Dragon Boat Championships in Shanghai in the following October.

National Champs - Shanghai - here we come - NSW Masters Mixed Team - AusDBF 2004 National Dragon Boat Championships - Perth/WA - Fri 9 Apr 2004

National Champs - Shanghai - here we come - NSW Masters Mixed Team - AusDBF 2004 National Dragon Boat Championships - Perth/WA - Fri 9 Apr 2004 (picasa)

The NSW Masters Open, Women's and Mixed Teams then trained through the Winter of 2004 and represented Australia with great pride, intensity, passion and power in Qingpu/Shanghai in late October 2004 at the 2004 IDBF World Dragon Boat Championships.

Training Session - Australian Masters Mixed Dragon Boat Team - 2004 IDBF World Dragon Boat Championships - Qingpu/Shanghai - Mon 18 Oct 2004

Training Session - Australian Masters Open Dragon Boat Team - 2004 IDBF World Dragon Boat Championships - Qingpu/Shanghai - Mon 18 Oct 2004


Maurie would then go on to be a member of the victorious 2005 NSW Dragon Boat Team.

2005 NSW Dragon Boat Team - Maurie's up the back (as per usual) on the left - AusDBF National Dragon Boat Championships - Canberra (Fri 08 Apr 2005)

Maurie then became a member of the 2005 Australian Dragon Boat Team which competed at the World Dragon Boat Championships in Berlin. On the same trip to Germany he also represented  New Zealand in a Maori Cultural Group that performed in Schlitz. He was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer shortly after his return from Germany that year.

Maurie is in Row 6 on the right - Australian Masters Mixed Dragon Boat 500m Team - 2005 IDBF World Dragon Boat Championships - Berlin - Fri 05 Aug 2005

The cancer and it's painful treatment did not stop him from paddling and Jenny, Joanne and I would often see him at Dragon Boat Regatta's, where he would often take the time to talk to us, and in particular Jenny. They seemed to have a special relationship and I always made sure that they had the opportunity to have some time together so that they could talk about their own Journey's with cancer in a way that only cancer survivors can truly relate to and understand.

It was not until Jenny's Flowers on the Water (FOW) Ceremony last December, that I realised how much of impression that Jenny had had on Maurie's own Journey with Cancer.

In a moving email, he wrote to me to apologise for probably not being able to attend the FOW Ceremony and to write about the inspiration Jenny had provided to him during his own Journey with Cancer. I know he would not have minded if I publish a copy of the email below. I think it truly represents his kind nature and big heart. More so, I think it gives an insight into how he dealt with the cancer and highlights his own inspiring approach to living life with advance cancer.

Also have attached a couple of photos from the 2009 Dragon Boat Nationals After Party at Kawana/Caloundra (picasa), which always put a smile on my face. Also a couple of other photos from the World Dragon Boat Championships in Berlin in 2005.

Thank you Maurie - we will remember you with very fond memories. In particular, I will remember the special friendship and bond that you had with Jenny. I know she enjoyed the little chats you had and I also know your own Journey, not only inspired Jenny, but all of those that had the pleasure of knowing you.

Regards .. Geoff

From: Maurice Cowan [moreza.cowan@??.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 1 December 2009 1:38 PM
To: Eldridge Geoff
Subject: My Inspiration

Hi Geoff,

I was very dissappointed to hear about Jenny's passing. She has been a inspiration for me for a few years now, since I first discovered my prostate cancer in 2005 after returning from the world championships in Germany. I reminded her at Caloundra how much of an inspiration she was for me (see gave me one of those big smiles), and wished her luck not knowing it would be the last time that I would see her.

I can remember her on that trip to germany, she was an inspiration to me even before I learnt of my own condition. I can remember feeling sorry for her at that time,but respected her strength and passion that she had for paddling and for life, it was inspiring.

So when I had first discovered that I had advanced prostate cancer a few months after that trip in 2005, the first person I thought of was Jenny and how she was handling herself,that really helped me to deal with my own situation pretty easily. For me it was like ok we know what it is, so lets just get on and deal with. And as long as I can still paddle I'll be fine.

So every regatta since then, I would always look for her and think she looks well whenever I saw her, so this year at Roseville, it just wasnt the same without her there.

She still remains an inspiration for me as I continue my own battle. Unfortunately my pain levels vary from day to day from comfortable to very painful. I am hoping to come to bank st, but I hope that you will understand if I cant.

Regardless I will be thinking of Jenny during that time, I will always remember my friend with the big smile on her face and a huge heart, who has made such a huge impression on me.

kindest regards,
Maurie


Jo, Maurie and Jenny - 2009 Australian Dragon Boat Nationals - Kawana - 26 Apr 2009 (picasa)

Jenny and Maurie - Inspirational - Big Smiles and Huge Hearts - 2009 Australian Dragon Boat Nationals - Kawana - 26 Apr 2009  (picasa)

Maurie is in Row 6 on the left - Australian Premier Open Dragon Boat Team - 1000m - Thu 04 Aug 2005

Team Huddle (Maurie is on the left, Mark Madden, Geoff Eldridge, Vivianne Bustos, Cynthia Kupier, George Louie, Toni, Peter Richardson and Jon Taylor (who passed away from Prostate Cancer in Dec 2008) - Australian Senior Mixed Dragon Boat Team - Berlin - Sun 07 Aug 2005

6 comments:

  1. I remember when i first met Maurie while we were both paddling for Northern Beaches DBC back in 2003 , he was the biggest guy i had ever met , he was so strong .When he shook my hand he engulfed it , he was like a giant . A real life gentle giant . A mountain of a man . With a heart to match it . Later we both tried out for the 2004 NSW Masters Squad , he was so happy to make the squad for Perth Nationals . We shared an apartment together , with Rod Jones & Peter Cochrane from Newcastle , and Ray Debono from Pendragons in Perth . Needless to say we won Gold and then we went to Shanghai for the Worlds and the year after to Berlin for the Worlds there . He was so proud to wear the Green & Gold , so passionate , so motivated , yet he would always have time to greet paddlers from other nations. He had a drive and enthusiasm for life that was unmatched . He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him , he left his mark with the dragon boat community but now joins our other brothers and sisters in paddling heaven . He truly has found his Golden Paddle . His passion for Sport , his Country , & his family will be carried forward with his children , in particular his son - Pek Cowan , who like his father proudly wears the Green & Gold ( representing the Australian Wallabies ) . Rest in Peace Maurice Cowan . We will always treasure the memories . Amen !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maurie was a legend. I will always remember him.

    In dragon boating there is a secret club of engine room heavy weights. Those few of us that can only ever sit in the middle of the boat, are over 6'3" tall and dream of one day weighing less than 100kgs. There are but a few of us and at regattas the secret club of big men are always drawn together like magnets and so it was with Maurie and I.

    I remember Maurie from my early days in paddling in 2003, through various state campaigns and then, once I moved to Church Point our paths crossed regularly. We paddled together for a short period at Ocean paddlers OC club before Maurie was forced to give OC away to focus on his treatment.

    Maurie was always smiling, even when it was obvious that his treatment was beating him to a pulp. He always gave me encouragment and was an incredibly warm human being.

    Maurie fought cancer hard and will remain an inspiration to me.

    He was a great friend whom I will miss.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ode to Maurie

    How my heart weeps and weeps that you have left our shores……

    You were a warrior to me; always so strong, so calm, so wise.
    You would never share your pain with me when I was trembling with fear knowing what you were going through, you would just look at me and smile and says “I’m OK Viv I’ll beat it”.
    When I was having a tantrum you would look at me, smile and calm me down with your gentle words of wisdom and your tender nature.
    How proud you were to wear the green & gold.
    How honoured I am to have known you.
    You were an invisible warrior Maurie, now you are an angel.

    You'll always be my hero. Vivianne Bustos

    ReplyDelete
  4. From: Wendy Smyth [mailto:kiwidragon@hotmail.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, 9 November 2010 10:38 AM
    To: Melanie Cantwell
    Subject: Memorial For Maurie Cowan 4pm this Saturday - casual wear - bring paddle or not.

    Bei Loon are holding a memorial service for Maurie Cowan this Saturday at 4pm.

    It will be on the northern beaches at Bayview (Rowland Reserve - Google Maps) on Pittwater Road followed by a get together at the Newport Arms Hotel (Corner of Beaconsfield and Kaliya Streets Newport - google maps).

    We invite everyone who knows Maurie to come and share their memories of this inspirational Man.

    Maurie was just 45 when he was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and 50 when he passed away. He started dragon boating over 25 years ago back in Wellington after a buxom blonde barmaid got him to sign up. He wasn't looking at what he was signing, his eyes were fixated elsewhere and next thing he knew he had sobered up and found himself in a dragon boat. He then moved to Australia (not to get away from the buxom blonde but because he had met an Aussie beauty). He came into see me about a job at the recruitment company I worked at but I signed him up for the Northern Beaches dragon boat club before we signed him up to work. He then went on represent NSW and Australia at world dragon boat championships before becoming a coach at Bei Loon.

    He was an absolute gentleman, an inspirational leader and friend to many. Everywhere he went he knew someone and most said they were related to him.

    Maurie has 13 brothers and Sisters and is survived by 4 Children, 2 grand children and partner Charmaine. His son Pek became a Wallaby recently but I know he still had a soft spot for the All Blacks.

    We invite everyone along this Saturday. We would especially like to see all his friends from Northern Beaches DBC attend. If you would like to join in the flowers on the water ceremony, please bring your paddling gear and paddle, otherwise, please come along to the service (wear casual gear - Maurie didn't like black suits), feel free to say a few words and join us after to celebrate Mauries life.

    A great Man who will be missed by many.

    Regards

    Wendy Smyth
    Bei Loon Dragon Boat Club

    ReplyDelete
  5. From: Wendy Smyth [mailto:kiwidragon@hotmail.com]
    Sent: Thursday, 11 November 2010 9:34 AM
    To: Melanie Cantwell
    Subject: Maurie Cowans memorial changed to Saturday 20th Nov.

    To all clubs in NSW.

    Thank you to everyone who has sent kinds words and thoughts about our Coach and friend Maurie Cowan this week. He certainly touched a lot of hearts in his 50 short years.

    The memorial service at Bayview has been postponed from this Saturday until Saturday 20th November at 4pm. His family are now staying on in NZ for the week after attending his funeral yesterday and will not be back in Australia in time for a service this Saturday.

    For the memorial service we would like everyone to wear blue (causal wear) or paddling gear if you wish to go out in a boat for the minutes silence and ceremony. Please bring a candle. We would like to hear everyone's stories about Maurie so you are all invited to speak so that we can all celebrate this great man.

    We will not be holding a flowers on the water ceremony as DAA have informed us they now hold the trademark for this and anything that resembles it.

    We will instead hold a traditional NZ and Pacific Island ceremony which will be more in line with Maurie's heritage.

    Everyone wil! l be made welcome to the memorial service and then afterwards to the Newport Arms Hotel. Please send this email to your clubs so they are aware of the the change of date. Thank you for your understanding.

    Regards

    Wendy Smyth
    Bei Loon Dragon Boat Club

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maurice Cowan - Memorial Service Speech , Bayview , 20th Nov 2010 , a few words to honour a good friend and a great paddler...
    Greetings ! or as Maurice would have said , Kiaora !
    I remember when i first met Maurie while we were both paddling for Northern Beaches DBC back in 2003 , he was the biggest guy i had ever met , he was so strong .
    When he shook my hand he engulfed it , he was a giant of a man . But a real life Gentle Giant. A mountain of a man - with a heart to match it . We shared some great times together on and off the water . I recall how we both turned up at Blackwattle Bay in front of Glebe High School there for our very first water trial in 2004 . I had no idea what a water trial was . Here we were up against some of the great paddlers of our time , names like Gavin Godfrey , Gerry Ebelt , Steve Dawes , Richard Thompson . I looked at Maurie and said , man , how am i supposed to compete against these guys ? And you know what he said ? - He looked at me straight in the eye and said Kaizer - its what's in your heart , paddle with your heart and the strength will come from within . And to this day , those words inspire me. Somehow we both made it into the 2004 NSW Masters Squad , where we both went on to win Gold at the Nationals in Perth. In Perth , we shared the same apartment with some of the Newcastle boys , and i can tell you we cooked some big meals . We qualified for the Worlds that year so off we went to Shanghai and then again to Berlin the year after . Maurie was so proud to wear the Green & Gold , he was so passionate , so motivated , yet he would always have time to greet paddlers from other Nations. He had a drive and enthusiasm for life that was unmatched . So if you asked me to sum up Maurice Cowan in one word , i would say - Heart . Maurice had a heart of Gold.
    And now i truly believe that together with our other brothers & sisters in paddling Heaven , he has truly found his Golden Paddle . Rest in Peace Maurice Cowan , we will always treasure the memories.

    ReplyDelete