Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Brooklyn Bridge - World Trade Center / Manhattan (Oct 1988)

Brooklyn Bridge - World Trade Center / Manhattan (Oct 1988)

Travel. Do not get stuck in one place. [..]
Whatever you do, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.


Ken Burns (2004 Yale Commencement Speech)


In 1988, at the age of 27, I took my first overseas trip - a seven week holiday to the USA from late September to early November 1988 - I remember flying back into Tamworth on Melbourne Cup day - we were in flight when the Captain announced the result of the race.

Spent most of my time in New York and Boston where I stayed with friends. I also took a weekend trip to Chicago from New York. On my return I spent a few days in Los Angeles and a few days in Sydney at Alexandria.

Recently found the above photo after this recent post
City of Blinding Lights - U2 - Live - Brooklyn Bridge - 22 Nov 2004 (youtube)
I can remember this evening visit to the Northern Tower of the World Trade Center. It was a still night and I was able to walk out onto and around the exposed and elevated viewing platform at the top of the Tower. It is there that I took this photo of the Brooklyn Bridge (the closer one, the next one along is the Manhattan Bridge), which a few days earlier I had walked across.

I will try to find the photos of the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge - they are somewhere at Kirrawee. I pulled out the above photo shortly after the Tower's were lost and just accidently stumbled across them in one of the desk drawers recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment