Friday, June 3, 2011

Caught in the Eye of the Storm - Kaizer Austin (Thu 02 Jun 2011)

Kaizer and the Austin Express (Sun 26 Sep 2009)

Captain's log star date Thursday 2nd June, 2011.

Today I started work this morning at 05:00 hrs so I could finish at 13:00 hrs, which would give me the opportunity to go for a paddle and an extra session on N'been lake, as part of my weekly training goals.

I hit the water at 14:00 hrs after a five minute warm up I strapped on the bungy cord around the hull, plugged into my music ear pieces listening to Classic Rock FM 95.3, and off I went at a steady 50 strokes per minute with 80% effort.

My starting point was just outside the Pro Kayaks shop, I headed out under the bridge to the top most pin at the northern tip of the lake, turned the pin and headed back with a slight head wind and the music pumping through my veins, working the legs and nailing the catch inhaling on the return & exhaling deep with every power phase aaahhhh...... beats work anytime, perfect way to spend an afternoon ..... back to my start position in 21'43" first lap. Six minutes of rest and recovery level one paddle, drink.

Removed the bungy cord, set the stop watch ........ off we go at a steady 60 spm.

Under the bridge, straight up the lake, grinding on, turn the pin and........ holey smoke where did those clouds come from ? The sky behind me had turned an ugly black, guess it must be only 14:40hrs, next thing..... the heavens open. For about what would have only been six minutes the rain came down, torrential, like needles stinging my body, it was so intense my vision was blurred . Battling on - the stroke rate starts to creep up and panic sets in ...... but i'm not going anywhere , the rains hitting my craft and the water's boiling with the spray, the wind churns up ...... holding my nerve I drop the rate, put the hammer down, but wait ...... what's that just emerging from the blackness up above and to the left? Why - its a Rainbow.... and within a few seconds, literally, the rains gone . A glint of sun to my right, and I can see Jenny smiling down ...... back to the finish line in 24' flat, 24....?!! But that's slower than the first lap ..... and I can hear her laugh......

Warm down, de rig, load up, laugh to myself, life...... don't you love it!!


Jenny - Byron Bay (Oct 2007)



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaizer. Jo and I are touched by your little story. Jo reminded me that the 02 Jun is he anniversay of their father's passing - Tue 02 Jan 1992 (19 years ago). Thanks again for sharing. Regards .. Geoff and Jo

    ReplyDelete