Thursday, March 14, 2013

On Photography - Garry Winogrand and People Photography - Blake Andrews (Tue 12 Mar 2013)

Hands - Park Street / Sydney (Tue 12 Mar 2013)

Blake Andrews (*) writes about Garry Winogrand (*):
I think Winogrand's attraction to photographing people was psychological. He liked to play with figures as compositional figures, but more importantly he liked to get inside their heads. Many of his photos are like X-Ray visions. They burrow right into the thoughts of the characters. It's not easy to make photos like that without bogging down in sentimentality, without the thoughts becoming the primary subject. I see a lot of portraits nowadays concerned with that penetration, but they often leave the rest of life behind. Winogrand somehow combined X-Rays with surface level reality in a way that I think is rare. I know I can't do it.
via More thoughts on Winogrand (*) by Blake Andrews (*).

No comments:

Post a Comment