Saturday, March 16, 2013

When all is lost - The moment of highest leverage - Seth Godin (Tue 12 Mar 2013)

Keep Moving Forward (*) - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum - Boston (Mon 22 Aug 2011)

Seth Godin (*) writes about what I think is about Letting Go (*) when all seems lost and pointless:
It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, don’t waste it.

You’ve already won (or you’ve already lost). Right now, you can choose to do what’s in your heart, you can bring your real work to the world, instead of a lesser version, a version you think the market wants. After all, what do you have to lose?

When it feels like it’s hopeless or when it appears to be a lock, why not?

So you bring your true self to the work, your unadulterated effort, without negative self-talk and the sanding off of the interesting edges. Instead of compromise, you bring us vision.

Of course, when we see that reality, the kamiwaza of what you’re able to do when you’re not second guessing or giving up, the odds of transformation go way up. In fact, you haven't already lost, because your magical, vulnerable work changes everything.

You won’t get this chance again soon (unless you choose to). So go.
via The moment of highest leverage (*) by Seth Godin (*).

I experienced this in Prague (*) and the lead up campaign in which we lost Jenny (*).

Somehow,just 4 days after we farewelled Jenny (*) and 10 days off training, I "pulled" the best water trial of my career and found myself one of the top ranked paddlers in the Australian Masters Mixed Team, a first (and only time) for me. A week later I would come down with the flu and a nasty sinus infection which lead to me having a 10 day break from paddling and at one stage I thought the campaign was all over for me, as I could not "shake" the infection. As it was I should have had a bit more of a break, but I did not want it "toss it in"

In this time off, I lost my usual seat in the boat and after a bit of "soul searching", I forgave all, including myself (mostly) and just decided to let go (*) of everything and just go with it.

Had the time of my life and this little snippet of wisdom from Seth resonates most when I think of that Prague (*) Campaign just under 4 years ago now.

I tried to explain some this here (*) and here (*) a long time ago, but I like what Seth has written here.

I hope Seth will one day write more about how to accept the result of rare moments like these (but I suspect that this is the "winning" way of responding to Seth's post), something which has not been easy and I struggle with even to do this day (and maybe the reason I wrote this unplanned and unexpected post).

No comments:

Post a Comment